Thursday, September 8, 2011

Simply Delicious Roasted Chicken


Friends are always asking me for quick and easy weeknight dinner recipes. One of my favorite go-to recipes is a Roasted Chicken from acclaimed chef Thomas Keller of Napa's French Laundry. The idea of store-bought rotisserie chickens sitting under heat lamps for hours has always grossed me out. I was convinced I could make a chicken that was not only fresher, but also better tasting. I found this recipe on one of my favorite food sites, epicurious.com and not only was it incredibly easy but it was also the best tasting roasted chicken I had ever had! The salt rub assures incredibly moist meat with perfectly crispy skin that even my children ask for! That would never happen with a precooked rotisserie bird, now would it??? I usually serve this dish with a simple side of roasted fingerling potatoes that can roast in a separate pan along side the chicken; getting dinner prepped, cooked, and on the table in just over an hour! How easy is that??!!

Ingredients:

3-4 pound organic whole roaster chicken
Kosher or freshly ground sea salt
Freshly ground pepper


Preheat the oven to 450°F. Rinse the chicken, then dry it very well with paper towels, inside and out. The less it steams, the drier the heat, the better.

Salt and pepper the cavity, then truss the bird and place in a roasting pan.

Now, salt the chicken so that it has a nice uniform coating that will result in a crisp, salty, flavorful skin (about 1-2 tablespoons) Season to taste with pepper.

Place the chicken in the oven and roast for 50 to 60 minutes. Baste the chicken with the juices and let it rest for about 15 minutes, then dig in!!!  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment