Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Hubby's Favorite Soup & Sandwich- butternut squash soup and chicken salad



As you know, the family and I had a grand 'ole time at the orchard last week!  I loved apple picking, but seriously will I ever get through all these apples??? Between the apple pie I posted, and the apple crisp I made at the end of last week I don't think I can stomach another apple dessert. Even my kids are turning down my suggestions to make more pie or crisp; with a la mode to boot! That is just sad... especially when I still have a full basket of apples sitting on my counter!  Fortunately, I have some non-sweet related apple recipes up my sleeve. They also happen to be some of my husband's favorites!  Chicken Salad Sandwiches and Roasted Butternut Squash Soup; perfect for an Autumn evening!
And guess what??? I was actually somewhat organized and planned ahead by making Roasted Chicken last night so I would have leftovers to use!  Yeah Me! BTW, if you haven't tried the Roasted Chicken recipe on here yet, you are missing out!  It is delicious!!
Anyway, on to the recipes...

Chicken Salad Ingredients:

2 tbls light mayo
3 tbls sour cream
1-2 tsp stone ground or dijon mustard
pepper to tasteabout 2 cups of shredded chicken (leftover from roasted or rotissierie chicken)
1/2 of a medium size red onion, finely chopped
1 large apple,  finely chopped
2 handfuls of red grapes, cut in quarters
1/4 shaved almonds                                                      

french baguette ( I like the take and bakes so its nice and crusty)
arugula or mixed baby greens

In a medium size mixing bowl, mix mayo, sour cream, mustard and pepper.  Stir in remaining ingredients and stir till completely blended.  Serve on a baguette on top of a bed of arugula or mixed baby greens/  I personally prefer arugula.




Roasted Butternut Squash Soup Ingredients:
You will absolutely adore this soup!  I love it as a first course for Thanksgiving too!
 
 2- 2 1/2 pounds peeled and seeded butternut squash, cut into chunks
2 large tart apples, peeled and cut into slices
1 large sweet onion chopped (like a vidalia or walla walla)
1 tbls olive oil
salt and pepper
2 tbls butter, chopped into small slabs                       
5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 cup apple cider
1- 2 tbls curry powder                      
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup heavy cream
couple dashes of tabasco

crumbled blue cheese and chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 400.  Place squash, apples and onion on a non-stick baking sheet or one lined with foil. Drizzle olive oil evenly over the top and
place slabs of butter sporadically through out baking sheet.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Roast in oven for about 45 minutes or until squash is very tender and apples and onions begins to caramelize.  Remove from oven and move to a 4 quart soup pot.  Add stock, cider, curry powder and nutmeg and bring to a boil over medium heat.  Reduce heat and blend until silky with hand blender or remove in batches and blend in a counter blender.  Once soup is completely smooth in pot, stir in 1/2 cup heavy cream.  Add a few ashes of tabasco for a little kick.  I actually think the tabasco makes this soup so don't be afraid to try it!  Serve by itself or for a little extra flavor I like to sprinkle some chopped walnuts and blue cheese over the top.  The blue cheese melts perfectly in the soup and is a delicious complement to the sweetness of the soup!  The walnuts just add a nice texture to your bite!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment