A few weeks ago while visiting my bro and his wife in Chicago, I had a simple fennel and apple salad. It was crisp and delicious and got me thinking about my current close-minded opinion of this tasty vegetable. Why is it that I only think of fennel as a compliment to my Thanksgiving Stuffing when it can clearly stand out on its own! So the other night, along side our grilled chicken I made a fennel salad; and it was tasty. Not to mention, a nice change of pace from the standard mixed green salad... As always I tweaked the recipe a bit by adding apple cider to the dressing and throwing some Gorgonzola and walnuts on top, but this Charlie Trotter recipe is what I used as the base...
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and halved
- 2 bulbs fennel, thinly sliced