Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Thai Chicken Coconut Soup (Tom Ka Gai)



One of my all time favorite soups is Tom Ka Gai. When we lived in Chicago I was slightly obsessed with restaurant Penny's Noodle Shop's version.  It was simple and not filled with a bunch of random vegetables. Just the delicious broth with bits of chicken. Since I am still skeptical of any of the local Thai places here I decided; yet again, to make it myself.   (Perhaps there is a secret ethnic food scene here I don't know about, but oh well!)  Here is the result of a few recipes I blended.  It was a awesome and ridiculously easy!  Even easier than driving for take out I would say!  Hope you enjoy as much as us! My husband actually high-fived me if thats tells you anything!

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 tbls red curry powder
1 jalapeƱo chili, minced
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into small pieces

2-3 tbls fresh lime juice
1 tbls fish sauce
fresh grated ginger ( about 2 inch stalk)
fresh cilantro

Bring chicken broth, coconut milk, curry powder and chili to simmer in saucepan over medium heat.  Add chicken and continue simmering until chicken is cooked through.  Stir in in lime juice, fish sauce and grated ginger.  You can continue to add ginger and lime juice until you reach desired taste. Transfer soup to bowls and sprinkle chopped cilantro over.  Serve by itself or over some cooked white rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment